The season we’ve all been yearning for has had its unofficial welcoming; SUMMER!!
While recovering from long summer weekends of fun in the sun, splurging on great tasting food and NOT sleeping, our bodies are BEGGING us to recover! We’ve all made the “I’m never eating like that ever again” promise, but that vow can easily be broken with the number of barbecues, pool parties, graduation parties and weddings up ahead.
In an effort to ward off the unwanted pounds and the treacherous germs this summer, the Cold-EEZE Cold Remedy team has put together a few tips to help you fulfill your cravings without packing on extra weight.
• Hot Dogs: We suggest Applegate’s Organic Turkey Frank. The hot dog contains only 60 calories, 3.5 grams of fat and 7 grams of protein. Remember the more protein you eat, the longer you stay full. Still craving an all beef frank? Try Ball Park Fat Free Beef Franks: Only 50 calories, 5 grams of protein and of course, they’re fat free.
• Hamburgers: Find a lean ground beef in your local supermarket. Look for labels that say 95% lean meat, 5% fat. A mix of lean beef with fresh steamed veggies will give burgers a healthy flavor that will satisfy anyone after a long day in the sun.
• Vegetarians: Vegetarians can enjoy Lightlife Foods’ Veggie Protein Links. Only 45 calories and 8 grams of protein – they’re all natural and the perfect portion for a quick summer lunch.
Need to Chill Out?
• Lemonade: Try Pomegranate-Blueberry lemonade. Buy a bottle of Pomegranate blueberry juice (sugar free if possible), fresh rosemary and ½ a cup of fresh blueberries. This tart drink will quench your thirst while delighting your taste buds.
• Unsweetened Passion Tea: Infused with hibiscus, exotic herbs and natural tropical flavors, this crisp, summer pick-me-up delivers sweetness and zest with absolutely no sugar added.
Have a bit of a sweet tooth?
• Dark Chocolate: Craving something sugary? Try putting a few Hershey’s Dark Chocolate BLISS bars in your freezer. They’re bite size and an easy way to control your portion intake. Not only is dark chocolate full of antioxidants, but it contains various vitamins and minerals that can support your health and fight summer colds.
• Banana Ice cream: A delicious low-cal twist on everyone’s favorite dessert. Cut a banana up into slices, freeze them and then throw them in a blender. This creamy and frosty treat tastes just like real ice cream… except it’s healthy.
The dreaded summer cold:
Aside from the unwanted pounds, it can also be difficult to stay healthy in the summer. Some people do not know that in the summer there are a number of other things that can affect your health. From air conditioners drying out our noses and leaving us more prone to infections, to sharing food, to summer travels and more, there are many ways that you can catch a summer cold (check out this blog post for more!). Cold-EEZE Cold Remedy can help you rid that pesky summer sniffle and cough. If you feel any common cold symptoms coming on, grab your Cold-EEZE Cold Remedy lozenges, which can easily be stored in your beach bag or pocket. The Cold-EEZE Cold Remedy Oral Spray is also convenient for your summer travels because it packs more doses into a smaller package. Cold-EEZE Cold Remedy lozenges are clinically proven to shorten the duration of the common cold by almost half, which is vital this time of year. All Cold-EEZE Cold Remedy products, including our lozenges, oral spray and our new Daytime/Nighttime QuickMelts, release zinc ions in your mouth that are absorbed by your upper respiratory system. Some scientific studies suggest that the release of zinc ions – as found in Cold-EEZE Cold Remedy products’ unique zinc gluconate formula – inhibits the cold virus’ ability to replicate, shortening the duration of the common cold.*
* Although the precise mechanism by which zinc ions interfere with the cold virus has not been scientifically established, the Cleveland Clinic study demonstrated that Cold-EEZE lozenges significantly reduced the duration of the common cold.