We Want You to Stay Healthy
General Safety Overview
Safety is a major concern of most people, especially when health is at stake. That is why Cold-EEZE® has made it a priority to ensure the safety of the product.
Please refer to the Cold-EEZE® package drug facts information on Cold-EEZE® packages for active ingredient, warnings, directions for use and other related information.
Cold-EEZE® is safe and effective for all adult patients. There are no significant safety risks or adverse effects associated with Cold-EEZE® lozenges, when taken as directed.
- Dissolving lozenges, tablets or chewing a piece of gum on a full stomach can remedy most cases of stomach upset.
- Cold-EEZE® may alter taste buds. This is normal and temporary.
- Limited drug interaction: When taken at the same time, zinc has been reported to make doxycycline, minocycline, or tetracycline less effective. Take zinc two hours after ingesting doxycycline, minocycline, or tetracycline.1
Cold-EEZE® lozenges are formulated to relieve cold symptoms, and may be insufficient treatment for influenza and allergies. If symptoms worsen, or persist beyond 7 days, stop use and consult a physician. If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before using. Keep out of reach of children.
Cold-EEZE® Nasal Spray is no longer being produced or sold. Please be advised that any Cold-EEZE® Nasal Spray product that you have in your possession or that you might purchase from a retail establishment is currently out of date and should be destroyed immediately.
- Zinc gluconate, the active ingredient in Cold-EEZE® provides 13.3 mg of ionic zinc per lozenge, and 4.3 mg per sugar-free tablet. When taken as directed (up to 6 lozenges; 16 sugar-free tablets per day) there are no significant risks of excessive dosage with Cold-EEZE®.
- Although the Recommended Dietary Allowance for zinc is 11 mg for adult men and 8 mg for adult women, much higher doses are typically used for specific complaints.
- The National Institutes of Health have set Upper Limits (ULs) of zinc intake ranging from 4 mg/day to 34 mg/day for children between birth and 18 years of age, and 40 mg/day for adults. However, ULs do not apply to individuals who are receiving zinc for medical treatment.
- The maximum daily intake of zinc (from all sources) should not exceed 150 mg.1
- In the event of overdose, inordinate amounts of daily zinc intake (over 300 mg/day over several weeks) have been associated with nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, reduced copper status, reduced HDL-cholesterol levels and impaired immunological response.2
- When taken as directed, the typical course of therapy for Cold-EEZE® results in an intake of 80 mg/day of ionic zinc for 3 to 7 days. When taking into account an average typical dietary zinc intake of 11 mg/day, the total daily intake is well within the limits of safety.
- Wholehealthmd.com. Supplements. Zinc-Drug Interactions. Available at:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com. Accessed 09/16/08.
- Chandra RK. Excessive Intake of Zinc Impairs Immune Response. JAMA. 1984;252(11):1445.
Sugar Free details
Sugar Free Cold-EEZE® lozenges are designed for health conscious consumers looking to limit their calorie and carbohydrate intake.
Sugar Free Cold-EEZE® lozenges contain Isomalt, a sugar alcohol, that contains about half the calories of sugar and other carbohydrates. Isomalt is not a sugar replacement and does not contain any alcohol.
Sugar alcohols may raise blood glucose levels and are not recommended for people with diabetes.
Diabetics should consult their health care professional before taking Sugar Free Cold-EEZE® lozenges.
Each Sugar Free Cold-EEZE® lozenge contains:
- 2.24g of carbohydrates
- 9 calories
Cold-EEZE® lozenges should be taken at the first sign of a cold, such as cough, sore throat, stuffy nose, sneezing, post-nasal drip and hoarseness. Continue treating with Cold-EEZE every 2-4 hours until all symptoms subside.
Cold-EEZE® lozenges contain no preservatives or dyes and are non-drowsy. Cold-EEZE® is the #1 Pharmacist Recommended zinc cold lozenge, recommended two-to-one over its nearest competitor.
For Persons with Diabetes or Concern with Glycemic Control
Cold-EEZE® Sugar-Free Tablets in Chocolate Mint flavor:
- Each box contains 48 zinc gluconate tablets
- Each tablet contains 4.43 mg of ionic zinc
- Recommended daily dose: One tablet per hour, maximum of 16 daily
- Safe for people with diabetes
- Contains 0 carbohydrates, 0 calories