Winter is in full force and as the days get shorter and the nights get colder, you might find that melancholy feeling starting to set in. The dreadful ‘winter blues’ can leave you extra tired, moody, and anxious after the highs of the holiday season. In an effort to stay upbeat and in high spirits, the Cold-EEZE Cold Remedy team has compiled some of our favorite tips and tricks that keep us smiling and out of that winter funk:
- Stay active: Exercise isn’t just for maintaining your weight, it’s also a great stress reliever. It can improve your mood by releasing feel-good chemicals, and helps you stay healthy. But exercise doesn’t have to be a boring routine at the gym! Any activity that gets your heart pumping faster for a while will do, from a walk to climbing up the stairs to work or even dancing in your underwear—you might be surprised how good you feel when you’re done!
- Eat Healthy: What you eat can have a big effect on your mood and energy. If you have an unhealthy diet, your energy levels will decrease and can cause you to become irritable. A healthy, balanced diet will provide your body and mind with proper nutrients and energy to survive the cold winter. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be an overwhelming endeavor. Just starting with small healthy substitutes stocked in your pantry could make a big difference! Check out here and here for ideas.
- Sleep: During the gloomy winter months, it’s only natural you want to, well, basically hibernate! But too much sleep can become counterproductive and actually make you more tired. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night to keep you rested and energized.
- Embrace the Outdoors: Instead of avoiding the cold and going into winter hibernation (see point #3!), embrace the cold weather and fun winter activities available to you! Head to the slopes for a ski or snowboard adventure, hit the ice-skating rink, grab a sled for a favorite childhood pastime. Staying active and the fresh crisp air can help you see winter in a positive light and keep your spirits high.
- Treat Yourself: Without having something to look forward to, winter can seem endless. Plan an exciting trip, a fun (winter themed?) event with friends or even take a special pampering day to keep you happy and brighten your mood.
What are some ways you beat the winter blues?
Share with the Cold-EEZE Cold Remedy community on the Cold-EEZE Cold Remedy Facebook Page, Twitter. We want to hear from you!