The idea of waiting a whole week to get an update on your favorite TV storylines feels hopelessly antiquated because of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other video-streaming platforms, which have transformed the way we watch television. These platforms also offer the side benefit of providing a lot more entertainment options to people who are home battling a cold.
The days when people showing signs of a cold were forced to watch soap operas and daytime talk shows or get their partner or roommate to rent them a stack of DVDs are long gone. Now there’s a buffet of options available to stream, and you don’t need to plan ahead.
No one wants to be sick, of course, but think about the positive: This is the only time you get to laze on the couch, let your body’s immune support rebuild, and not feel the slightest bit guilty about it.
The Cold-EEZE team has curated a few of our favorites to binge-watch, with some comedy, drama and even sci-fi thrown into the mix.
1. Seinfeld. The entire nine-season run is going to be available to stream for the first time ever on Hulu starting on June 24. So get ready to relive your favorite moments with Jerry, Elaine, George, Kramer and, of course, the Soup Nazi and “George Steinbrenner.” There are 180 episodes, so we estimate you could get through them in less than four days if you’re really dedicated (and willing to go without sleep, which, of course, is not advisable when you’re sick.)
2. Orphan Black. Now in its third season, this Canadian series follows a group of clones who were bred as part of an evil corporation’s experiment; they’re now in great danger as they try to take control of their destinies. There’s a grifter, a cop, a soccer mom, a scientist and a psychopath, just to mention a few of them, and they’re all played by the amazing Tatiana Maslany. You can start streaming Season 1 on Amazon Instant Video for $1.99 per episode.
3. Orange Is The New Black. The third season of this Netflix original just became available on June 12. It centers on Piper Chapman, a yuppie from Brooklyn who winds up in prison because of her brief involvement with an ex-girlfriend’s drug-smuggling ring years ago. She seems like a fish out of water among women who at first glance appear to be hardened criminals, but she adapts to her new surroundings.
4. House of Cards. This Netflix original follows Congressman Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey) and his wife Claire (Robin Wright) and their ruthless consolidation of power, and it’s a must-see. It just might be the show that introduced the term “binge-watch” to our common vocabulary. There are three seasons of it now, so just make sure to take breaks to eat and sleep.
5. Breaking Bad. If you haven’t seen it yet, this story of a high school chemistry teacher turned meth cooker turned drug lord is probably on your list. If you have seen it, it might be a good time to re-watch the epic tale. All five seasons are on Netflix.
6. How I Met Your Mother. We needed to have another comedy on the list, since bingeing “House of Cards” and “Breaking Bad” may give you nightmares! Luckily, all nine seasons of HIMYM are now on Netflix, and Neil Patrick Harris is guaranteed to make you smile. Just skip the last episode if you hated the ending.
Are there other shows you recommend binge-watching this summer?